Monday, October 10, 2011

Copyright Assignment

First off, there are a few things I learned about copyrights and how to address them.  I had no idea about the ten percent rule.  It is nice to know that if i only use less than ten percent of a work then it isn't copyright infringement.  Also I found it interesting about the common license.  I hadn't realized that there was so much material out there available to me to search and to use.  I also did not know that you could record something off of TV and use it for ten days, but it makes sense that you cannot use it longer than that.  Overall I would say that i learned a lot from this assignment and I will be more careful in the future.


First example, a good one!
This video is a guide to what exactly HPLC (high pressure liquid chromatography) is.  While there are no citations given for the images at 4:21 or 4:26, it is probably safe to assume that they created those images on their own.  Also the graphing program they used at a few times in the video (5:00) was never given credit, but it might be an open source program.  There is no music in the video, so they don't have to worry about any copyright issues there.  At the end of the video they give credit to the lab, the staff and students in the film, the company who provided the instrumentation and the authors and writers of the scripts.  
Overall, I would say this is a pretty good example.  It was produced by a professional university for educational purposes and while there are a few questionable usage of materials, it is probably safe to assume that they did not use anything without permission.

Not so great example:
This is another example of a chemistry educational video.  This one discusses chemical reactions, unlike the previous video absolutely nothing is cited in this one.  There are images and a few figures and nothing is credited.  Also the background music is not credited either.  The girl who is acting in the video is not even given credit.  The only thing that might cover the publisher of this video is that in the caption they give credit to the Australian primary educational program 'Science in the Kitchen', Classroom Video, 2010.  However, in my opinion they should have given some credit in the video.  I guess this might fall under the fact that they used less than 10% of the video, but I still feel like there is a good amount of work in this video that is not given credit to.

So there you have it, a pretty good example and a not so good example.  Overall it is kind of hard to find bad examples of copyright issues on YouTube since the site is pretty well managed, however I have seen some more blatant issues on some other material before.

1 comment:

  1. You found two really good examples, and your analysis of their copyright usage is great. It looks like you're very aware of copyright law. Good job!

    ReplyDelete