I also read two talks, one by Michelle Stocking titled "Finding and Sharing the Gospel Online"
found here and one by Elder David a Bednar titled "Things as They Really Are" found here.
- What were the most important things I learned from the readings and video? -I would say the most important things I learned had to deal with how the internet is a source for good and evil. There are so many things we can do with the internet, but it can be such a distraction from the real world. Things that seem to matter online can make us loose sight of the long term. When you get sucked into this world so far safety begins to be an issue. People share more and more of their personal life searching for some sort of connection and privacy and safety often gets sacrificed.
- How will what I have read influence my actions as a parent and/or teacher of children and youth? -As a parent who is technology savvy I will be able to monitor my child's internet activity. Also I'll be sure to use an internet filter such as B-safe. I think another big thing is just to be involved in the lives of my children and what they do. In terms of my students I will definitely have to use more technology in my teaching so that I can engage my students.
- How can I use what I have learned from the reading to have a positive influence on family and friends? -All the things I've learned will help me to remember to take internet safety a little more seriously. Having been involved with the internet for basically my entire life, I feel like I might have become a little ignorant of all the bad that does occur on the internet. Now that I have been reawakened to what is going on, this will help me let others know about interenet safety and good internet usage.
- Am I aware of the benefits and dangers children face when online with cyber bullying and online predators? Do I know how to prevent cyberbullying? -Cyber Bullying can be a big issue. The easiest way to prevent cyberbullying is to be careful how much others share online. If someone is bullying you, then most websites and email services have the ability to block people.
- Where can I go for information and resources that can be used to teach internet safety? -There are multiple online sources a simple google search for internet safety comes up with multiple sites. The FBI has a page giving advice to parents and teachers that can be found here.
- What internet safety issues am I likely to face as a teacher and how will I address them? -I feel like one of the biggest safety issues I will face is with my students and their internet activity. My students may be involved with a lot of things online, like Sara from the video who said online was the only time she was 100% her. I just need to maybe make a few points about being safe on the internet.
- How can I leverage the power of the Internet so students can learn, but in a safe way? -I just need to make sure to design any assignments I give using the internet to be safe and not involve any risk. This can mostly be done by using set agendas and sites that are deemed safe and otherwise low risk.
Overall, I gained so much knowledge from these resources and my perception on internet safety has changed.
No comments:
Post a Comment